That's how it is. Period.

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Published 2/26/09
in the Old Berthoud (CO) Bulletin

ANOTHER LANDMARK BITES THE DUST

I appreciated Melanie Crane’s letter of 2/11/09. Although I do not live in Berthoud, I will miss the Wayside Inn. My wife and I discovered its delicious fried chicken over 50 years ago, while motoring from Simla where we published the local newspaper (1952-65) to Fort Collins to attend a football game. I’m wondering if rerouting U.S. 287 (while probably virtuous in many respects) had anything to do with the closing of the Wayside or other businesses.

Ms. Crane also mentions the eternal problem faced by many a small town: that of preserving its unique ambiance while at the same time trying to modernize. Apparently Berthoud is no exception.

I can only say that, in Louisville where we lived (1965-98), the city, despite my editorial protestations went ahead and installed decorative “elephant ears” to modernize Main Street. Later, when parking problems arose, business owners asked the city to please remove the protruding concrete obstacles to open up more spaces -- but the city said no, it would cost too much. They’re still there.

As for business owners everywhere, I believe that they can do a lot to help themselves by advertising regularly in the hometown newspaper(s). Thank you for letting an “outsider” comment.
P.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Retired in 1998 after a 50-year career of editing and publishing Colorado small-town weekly newspapers. He served as president of the Colorado Press Association in 1981 and was awarded an honorary lifetime membership.